Along with the Collections listed below, the Phelps Public Library provides high speed Internet access computers, wireless Internet access 24/7, word processing & printing for a small paper fee, copy and fax machine services (see policies page). We also provide Interlibrary Loan services through Merlin, our local automated circulation system, and the statewide system WISCAT.
We provide materials in the following formats:
- Regular & Large Print
- Audiobooks on CD
- Music CD's
- Local Newspaper & Newsletter
WisCat: WisCat is the Wisconsin library catalog. Contact the library to request items from WisCat that are not found in Merlin.
Library Digital Media
Digital Books, Audiobooks, Music, Videos: Wisconsin's Digital Library offers a catalog of downloadable media (electronic books, films, music and audiobooks) to read on a pc or play on portable devices. For CD burning permission refer to the Digital Rights Information section at the bottom of each title page. Please review the The Help Center before using the Digital Library.
Flipster offers magazines (current and back issues) to view online or to download with the free Flipster app to a mobile device to view offline. Weekly issues can be checked out for two days and monthly issues can be checked out for one week. There is no check out limit. Once you log into Flipster, use the HELP link for further instructions or visit the Flipster FAQ.
The current Flipster subscription includes: • Clean Eating • Consumer Reports Buying Guide • Country Living • Dogs Life • Food Network Magazine • Good Housekeeping • HGTV Magazine, People • Prevention • Rolling Stone
The following online databases provide a wealth of information in a variety of formats. Some of the databases may require a password, available at the library, or access may be limited to in-library use.
Ancestry Library Edition: Ancestry Library Edition is an extensive library genealogy research tool. Access is limited to in-library use at any NWLS library. Promotional training materials are available.
BadgerLink: BadgerLink* offers Wisconsin residents access to business, health, literature, magazine and newspaper resources, and many are available in full-text. Promotional materials are available. For more information visit the online support center. If you are unable to access any BadgerLink database, log in using the Library Card Access page. The following databases are among the many resources available through Badgerlink:
- Auto Repair Reference Center - Repair manuals for most major manufacturers of domestic and imported vehicles, with repair information for most vintage makes starting as far back as 1954.
- Consumer Health Complete - Includes more than 200 health and wellness reference books and encyclopedias, thousands of health reports, drug evaluation sheets, videos, pamphlets and other documents.
- HeritageQuest - Research ancestors and historical sources dating back to the 1700s.
- MasterFILE Premier- A general reference database with nearly 1,700 publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. Accessed in BadgerLink's Database List.
- NoveList - A readers' advisory database with over 150,000 fiction titles, and over 4000 custom created articles and lists. Access Feature Articles, BookTalks, and Book Discussion Guides along with Author Read-alikes, Readers' Advisory training content and a variety of other reader materials.
- NoveList K-8 - A readers' advisory database for grades K-8 with collection of titles, BookTalks, Recommended Reads book lists and more.
- TeachingBooks.net - Thousands of resources for k-12 multimedia fiction and nonfiction reading activities for educators, librarians, students and families supporting language arts, book clubs, art educators, social studies and much more.
- EBSCOhost - A rich eBook collection of books, journals, and database content. Select the EBSCO Database List, then select the eBook Collection. Sign in at the top of the page. Visit the ebook support center for more information.
- LearningExpress Library is a learning center for people of all ages and education levels interested in learning extra skills for school or work. It provides skill building exercises, popular software tutorials, and practice tests for AP, SAT, ACT, college admissions, and more.
*BadgerLink is a project of the Department of Public Instruction's Division for Libraries, Technology, and Community Learning for the citizens of Wisconsin. Funding is provided through the Public Service Commission Universal Service Fund.